The Austonian is a unique oval-shaped 56-story high-rise in downtown Austin just off the Colorado River and very near the State Capitol. Its spectacular views of the mighty Colorado, city skyline, and lush Texas countryside has visitors to this 45th floor residence exclaiming, “What a view!”.
Once we could tear ourselves away from the windows, the magic began to take shape as we crafted the design’s sleek lines and precise placement of key elements for the kitchen and space-savvy media/guest room.
The lucky owners of this high-rise residence visited our eggersmann Dallas showroom with architect, Miguel Rivera. They were seeking the perfect finish to speak to not only the architectural elements of the space, but also, to the homeowners’ personal furnishings and whimsical art collection.
After glimpsing our beautiful dark rich Macassar Tricolor veneer set against our metal deco steel dark, they looked no further. Their eyes and hearts were set on this duo that read monochromatic with a touch of subtle interest.
Photography by Paul Finkel at Piston Design
The well-assembled kitchen is the perfect U-shaped kitchen. But that was so when we first explored the residence’s layout and architectural elements. The building’s intriguing exterior architecture is a thing of beauty in the Austin skyline, but its that very architecture that introduces some challenges in the interior units:
- An oval shape at each end of the building was where the kitchen would take shape
- Half of the south side wall introduced floor-to-ceiling windows with a structural beam in the corner that had to magically disappear.
Crowell Builders engineered the magic required to make these challenges disappear. To ensure we could achieve a seamless floor to ceiling cabinetry look throughout the kitchen, Crowell built a linear wall over the structural beam and across to flatten out the oval. They recessed part of the wall to accommodate the Subzero refrigerator and freezer columns.
minimal kitchen design, maximum functionality
Integrating these appliances assured the minimalist aesthetic our clients wanted. And the wall with our highly functional cabinetry optimized loads of storage space to keep the design clutter-free, yet highly functional for everyday life.
To match the floor-to-ceiling windows appeal, the kitchen cabinetry extends floor-to-ceiling as we clad every inch of the back wall above the cabinets. For added ambiance and drama, we specified up-lighting atop the cabinets.
Across from the clever beam-hiding wall with integrated refrigeration, we designed the final side of the U-shape. We added more cabinets and drawers as well as ample open shelving for art and treasured serving ware. The Maccassar cladding continued behind this final wall to offer a contrasting dark backdrop to the lighter, more colorful dining and living areas.
The use of the rich Maccassar veneer continued into the exceptionally functional and inviting media space. With ample comfortable seating, oversized TV, and cozy fireplace, it is everything you can imagine for the ultimate hangout place.
Our clients wanted to add guest room functionality, so our designer, Gabriela Espinoza, utilized Schmalenbach components to create an integrated pull-down Murphy bed. Media room turns to guest quarters whenever needed with a light tug on the custom integrated handles notched on either side of the custom cabinetry.
cabinetry & finishes
- Bottom and tall wall cabinetry:
- Cabinets: Vancouver Range #667
- Finish: Fineline Macassar Tricolor Veneer
- Upper wall cabinets:
- Cabinets: Sydney Range #2303
- Finish: Metal décor steel dark
- E-sign channel finish: #912 Stainless steel
- Schmalenbach Murphy bed finishes:
- #667 Fineline Ebony Tricolor Macassar
- Aluminum dark bronze
- Décor dark brown
- Blackened steel fireplace surround (sourced)
- 30” Subzero Refrigerator column
- 18” Subzero Freezer column
- 30” Subzero Refrigerator/Freezer drawers
- 30” Wolf warming drawer
- 36” Wolf gas cooktop 5-burner
- 36” Gaggenau Visor Hood with lowering frame
- 30” Miele Speed Oven
- 30” Miele Convection Single Oven
- 24” Miele ADA Dishwasher, knock to open
- 15” Scotsman under-counter nugget ice machine
- Ecosmart Fireplace Flex 50ss
learn more about eggersmann solutions
"*" indicates required fields